Start your own dragon boat crew
Would like to create your own dragon boat crew? Are you the “organizer” type? You want to set up your own dragon boat team? Here is the basic info to start the dragon boat adventure with your colleagues, friends, family, etc.
Three training sites are available to start your own dragon boat team:
- Montreal, Parc Jean Drapeau Olympic Bassin
- Lachine Canoe Club
- Quebec city, Lac Beauport
A little history:
A traditional Chinese sport, dragon boat originated in China more than 2000 years ago. According to the legend, after a militant poet died from drowning, his fellow countrymen crossed the river while beating drums and gongs, on the 5th day of the 5th lunar calendar month, to drive away evil spirits and save his soul.
FAQ and dragon boat 101:
- How many members does a team have? A dragon boat crew has 22 members (20 paddlers, 1 steerer and 1 drummer). There are mixed, women and men teams. For a mixed crew, a minimum of 8 women is required to enter competitions. The steerer also acts as coach and is included in your package.
- Is the equipment provided? We provide paddles and personal flotation devices to all our members.
- Is the sport easy to learn? Dragon boat is very easy to learn and accessible to all age groups. The boats are stable and safe.
- What should I wear? For a better dragon boat experience, avoid cotton clothes. For colder days, “first layer” underwear is recommended. Choose fitted lycra or nylon clothes. Wear an old pair of sneakers or sandals. Locker rooms, showers, bathrooms and lockers are available for your convenience.
- Do practices take place in case of rain? Yes. In the event of a thunderstorm, the practice is suspended for a 20 minute period.
Our packages include:
- Predetermined schedule for 60 minutes practices, including boat and equipment rental
- Predetermined schedule of competitions.
- H2o coaching services (CPR and first aid certified, recognized by Dragon boat Canada)
- Competition uniforms (optional).
Beginner package: The price of your package depends on the number of training and the number of competition. From 50$ per person. Custom packages available.